Friday, January 9, 2009

Random faces

I think my eye sight is deteriorating really fast. Either that, or I am suffering from some disease that impedes my ability to distinguish one individual from another. I was out the other day at Orchard Road and swear I saw at least 3 familiar faces. I hate this. Cos no matter who is it I saw (or think I saw), my heart will start racing for no apparent reason. And then I'll begin the debate as to whether or not I should go up and make my presence known. If you could hear my internal speech to myself, it'll probably be something like

"Hey! HEY! I know you! You're XXX! Hey wait a minute, is that really her? She looked different. Should I go say hi? (target is walking in the opposite direction and getting nearer) omg she's getting closer. Quick! Decide! But she's with a friend. Better not? OK better not. (walked passed each other and had a split second of eye contact)

And then, almost always, she'll turn out to be NOT the person I thought she was. I feel so dumb. I actually went through all that for a complete stranger. And for it to happen 3 times within one hour is too much for me. My brain is exhausted after all that matching-the-person-on-the-street-with-the-picture-in-my-mind exercise and I am tired of getting disappointed all the time. Hence, I now shift my attention to the buildings and roads instead of people.

So if you see me on the street next time and I did not come up to say "hi", please do not think that I hate you. I didn't say hi because I am still deciding if you're really you.

No comments: