Thursday, May 22, 2008

Copycat!

I have recently completed a biology report on cell energetics and was told most explicitly to cite my references else risking my degree. You see, plagiarism is taken very seriously in my uni and you will get into serious trouble if you take the ideas of others and passed it on as if they were your own. (definition of plagiarism was taken from www.dictionary.com ) I guess it is easy to understand why they have to go through so much trouble to cause misery to the lives of the undergrads by insisting ANY and EVERY reference to be included. You will understand, really, once YOUR ideas are 'stolen' by others.

I am not wealthy with great ideas and they aren't quite as valuable even if I had any but I must admit that I do feel a sense of injustice when I see that my ideas are being passed on without proper acknowledgement. The worst part of all was that the idea was not fully conveyed in the correct way. It was so painful to read sections of what that was originally mine, intertwined with some... (I cant find a word to describe without being offensive)

Please be original. If you need to copy, please take the whole thing or risk making a fool of yourself.

No comments: