Friday, June 27, 2008

It's over. Im done.

Exams are officially over. I dont know why but I dont really feel that there is a need to celebrate. Maybe it's because I've been through worse "hardship" (A levels) or perhaps the pain was a short one (one week). Or, it might be because everyone is still suffering and there is just no one to celebrate with.

Since this is the first time I did a major exam outside of Singapore, maybe I should just quickly highlight the differences.

Firstly, the exam hall.

You might be surprise to know that it is NOT located on the school grounds. And what might surprise you even more is that the hall is located in an amusement park. (I call it so because you will find the skeleton of what seems to be a ferris wheel there)

The place is called Adelaide Showground and, unsurprisingly, it is used for big events and festivals. It's weird cos it's currently under constuction, so you can hear the drillings of the ground when you're in the hall doing your exams. (Its like a construction site.)

The inside of the hall looks like expo - a very big storage space with poor lightings.


Secondly, the feel.

In short, its weird.

If the whole outlook of the place doesnt give you the sense of informality, the attitude of some students will. Let me tell you what happened during my first paper.

I was about halfway through the bio paper and everyone was concentrating on their work. Then, I started hearing some strange sound. Someone to the left of me started eating from her lunch box! Alright, it felt really weird cos she was eating and doing the exam at the same time. I mean, come on, ITS A FREAKING EXAM! (eat later la!)

This exam felt unnatural, and now that it's over, it almost felt as if it didnt happened. I dont know.

Oh eating in the exam hall is permitted by the way and, if I may add, a very common sight here.

No comments: