Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Life or death

I'll tell you a story. A true story. Not of my own but of someone by the name of Ramon Sampedro. He wanted to die.

He was involved in an accident when he was 25 that paralysed him from his neck down. He viewed his existence a burden to his care-taker and wanted to end his life with dignity. It is an irony that the very reason which fueled his will to die is the one which prevented him from suicide-his paralysis. His story brought the old and familiar debate on euthanasia to mind.

I think the movie which was based on his story kinna made him a hero. It seems to suggest that he is doing what others also wish for themselves but are too afraid to perform. I do not think that the fear which keeps people from taking their lives at some crisis makes them a coward. I think it takes courage to end one's life but it takes more than that to change one's mind about committing suicide.

I have done it again, haven't I? Veered into the topic which you have no response to. I'll stop.

No comments: