Sunday, July 12, 2009

Circular argument

When I was young, I was made to believe that there are only two kinds of people in this world. The good guys who can transform into superheros when there's trouble as like the power rangers, and the bad guys whose primary aim is to create havoc and destroy all goodness. And it is very easy to tell the good guys from the bad ones. The good guys are ALWAYS good-looking, well-mannered, and they don't ever swear. The bad guys, on the other hand, are always hideous, wore dark clothing and they speak with... well, a witch accent as I would have called it. So when the adults were saying how sorry they felt for young Andrew when he went for an eye surgery and reported to the day care centre with a cover over his left eye , I couldn't understand why no one saw that he was, in fact, the notorious Captain Hook.

As you can imagine, I was already judgmental when I was very young.

But I am older now. I know that not everyone who doesn't fit your idea of good-looking, are bad people. I know that not all cops are good people. I know that it is not always black and white. I know that good doesn't always triumph over evil. I know all that and yet, I want to believe in those fairy tales again. I have learnt life and now I want to unlearn it. I want to believe in heros with special powers and secret gardens with magic flowers. I want to simplify things. Look at the world through a child's eye. But I can't. Because that's just running away from reality. And heros don't run away.

No comments: