Sunday, July 26, 2009

The pros and cons of being an Asian in Australia

Alright guys, I believe the title alone provides enough details as to what I'll be discussing today and since I am a natural optimist, lets begin with all the perks of being an Asian.

1. You are born with the innate ability to do maths. A gift which I silently celebrate everyday.

2. The expectation of your English Language proficiency is generally low. It doesn't take much to amaze the locals since they'd thought you to be monolingual. (And by that I mean, Chinese speaking)

3. You will not be laughed at when you do well in school. Because academic excellence is expected of an Asian. Coincidentally, this is also one of the cons of being an Asian.

4. You are never grounded, no matter what you do. The Chinese homes don't have that under the punishment section.

5. You are indistinguishable between your Chinese counterparts and hence lecturers can never pick on you to answer a question.


Now, lets look at the not-so-good side.

1. You have to bear the occasional discrimination. (Just look at the controversial win in MasterChief)

2. You hardly, if ever, get invited to parties with the locals. (Whatever!)

3. You have significantly smaller eyes as compared to the others.

4. You cannot have a dog.

5. All hell break lose when you fail a test.


But even so, I like being an Asian. I am proud of it. And that sets me apart from some (the international students) and further apart from others (the locals).

No comments: