Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Late! Chinese! Birthday!

I was 10 minutes late for my stats tutorial today cos I went back to sleep after turning off my alarm only to wake up half and hour later. Oh well! I didnt miss much though. The tutor was still at question 1 when I reached there.

After school, I decided to stop over at the supermarket before heading home. But what I didnt know, is that within the doors lies a test for the level of competency of my not-so-frequently-used mother tongue language.

An asian auntie came up to me and spoke to me in Chinese. She wanted to purchase the olive oil that was on promotion. Being a nice and friendly person, I took her to the aisle where the liquid fats are displayed and pointed out the one that she was looking for. And then the test begun. She started asking me questions, and answers to which I cannot phrase in Mandarin.

To minimise the embarassment, I'll let you in on just one example. I cant say "litres" in Chinese. (I cant decide if it is gong sheng or hao sheng. Tried both. She knew neither) So I improvise and said "kong jin" instead, which actually means kg but they are basically the same if you think about it.

Alright enough of that, next up!

It's Begum's birthday today! So if you're reading this, Happy Birthday girl! I miss you loads. Make time for me when I get back ya. I wanna meet up!

No comments: