Sunday, October 19, 2008

Hate that I understand

Warning: This is going to be a rant

I am not very particular about where I physically position myself in lectures but whenever I attend my maths lecture, I get very selective of where I sit. And rightly so as you will soon learn.

My maths lecture hall is one of the places in school where I feel I belong. This owns to the fact that there are significantly more Asians than Australians doing maths. But this is not necessarily a good thing because the root of the problem stems from this very fact.

Reason #1: There are too many people attending that session and I might not get a seat if I'm late. So I basically have to rush to all my maths lectures and that also meant that I cant really chose where to sit since there aren't many places left when I get there.

Reason #2: I am not good in maths. Hence I will need to "offset" this disadvantage by paying close attention in class. This could be easily achieved if not for the girls who were constantly talking about their life behind me. (That's why I am selective about where I sit)

Alright, I might be bias here but those people who can't stop talking, they are from China. My guess is that they can't understand what the lecturer was saying, cos he speaks English, so they need to occupy themselves by talking. I know that the lesson might be boring for them, because they cannot understand his accent, but hello! I am trying to learn something here.

And the worst thing is, they're conversing in Chinese! Why is that bad, you'd say, well its because I UNDERSTAND CHINESE! And it's distracting!

I tried to tolerate this for half and hour, and did a lot of deep breathing exercises at many intervals during this period, but eventually decided to politely tell them to stop.

So I said, " Can you two stop talking?" in Chinese of course, to make sure they understand me. Well, they did stop. For 5 minutes.

And then they continued talking. As if nothing had happened. As if whatever that took place 5 minutes before was just part of my imagination. So I gave up. And now whenever I go for maths, I try to locate myself as far as I can from them.

Congratulations girls! You have made it to the top 5 of my pest list!

No comments: