Thursday, March 13, 2008

Independence

There is something about the word.

We like to think of everyone as an individual with a unique way of distingushing themselves from others. Yet, we find it hard not to walk the ways of our ancestors. Ever wonder why history sometimes repeat itself? Maybe its because we are too used to doing certain things in a accepted and traditional fashion such that it is almost radical to do otherwise. The chances of being at the receiving end of ridicule prevent us from venturing, exploring into the unknown . Independent thinkers tend to believe in the opposite.

When I arrived here in Adelaide, I knew that I have to be independent. Its my life and I have to plan it. There are just so many things to plan for in life. From the long term plan, like getting a visa and getting accomodation for the next year, to (as what my physics teacher like to say) the nitty gritty of things in everyday life. No one cares what I am doing and I am not accountable to anyone.

In school, we practice independent learning. No one knows if you're not there in class, no one cares if you dont understand something. It is entirely UP TO YOU to go to school and find out the answers yourself. If the tutor missed a tutorial (which was what happened to me today), you will just have to find other ways of getting the answers you need.

Saying that, I dont mean that everyone here is very selfish and only cares for themself. Most people are friendly and will aid you when approached. But they DO NOT offer their assistance if you are unwilling to ask for it in the first place. So put down your pride and call for help when you need it. You will find yourself in a less dire state and once you've taken the first step, it's easier to do it again.

-leeling will learn to be more independent each day so that her shoulder will be strong enough to support her family when she returns.

The decision to study here was mine and if I fail, the fault shall be mine and mine alone. The credit goes to my family should this turns out good as they are constantly supporting me in every way possible.

No comments: