Thursday, September 18, 2008

Assume we do not possess the ability to assume

This is the second time someone came up to me and starts speaking in Chinese. But unlike the first, the old auntie who attempted to talk me into attending her church is an australian. (My first encounter was with a chinese auntie who wanted olive oil)

I'll excuse the first (allowing the benefit of the doubt that maybe she can't speak english) but how do you explain the second?
Why do people assume that just because you're chinese, you speak chinese?

Don't get me wrong. I am not offended. I'm just wondering how people can easily make assumptions based on their evidently wisdom deprived brain? Because I think if you're truely wise, you'll be wise enough to know that you can never be wise enough. OMG! I cant believe I've just typed that! That's an oxymoron right?

Alright back to the topic on assumptions. I can go to church but that doesn't necessarily mean that I am a believer of Christ. Just like I can be chinese but not know a word of chinese.

And there are some people who can tap on this innate assumption instinct, as I called it, of ours to their advantage. Magicians, for instance, rely greatly on this tendency of the human mind to make assumptions. To show you what I mean,check this out and see if you too can identify how this trick works http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUNfbNchK3Y&feature=related

To those who cannot appreciate the video, or are simply too lazy to click on it, I onli have one thing to say - It's your lost.

So the take home message is, stop assuming.

No comments: