Wednesday, September 3, 2008

You either get it, or you don't

I contemplate and usually decide against writing on topics that might give reasons for people (especially my mother) to be worried about me. As I struggle internally with myself, I realised that I am not making it better for people who're concern about me by not talking about it. I'd make it better by being honest. So let me be honest and tell you about something I have always wanted to say. I am going to talk about racism. Not because I was being discriminated against but rather because it is something I feel strongly about long before I came here.


Being part of the majority race in Singapore, I can hardly feel any racial tension or discrimination but I know it's there through a close non-chinese friend. And seeing discrimination happening right in front of me made me angry, sad and helpless.


Why does it matter that we have a different colour? Do we not have the same heart for another human being? Do we not share the same feelings of happiness, sorrow, disappointment and joy? Why do we assign numerical values to our roots? Are we not all the decendants of men?


In Australia, only a handful are racist. But I haven't the chance to know the locals better so I am not in the position to comment. Most of them are genuinely sensitive towards the minorities. Which leads me to my story.


I had a biology practical today. We were supposed to come up with factors that we thought contributed to the difference in lung capacity in a healthy population. And, yes you guessed it, the race was thought by someone to be one of the reasons. How........ dumb can you get? Seriously!


This was suggested by someone who, I suspect, is a Malay aussie. And I could sense a concern glance in my direction by a sensitive group mate of mine when it (the dumb factor) was mentioned. I'm sure it was meant to be a joke but, well, it just isn't funny to me.


I hate racism. So, I dislike people who are bias either against or for my race. And here comes the irony. I am for human rights.

No comments: