Saturday, September 20, 2008

Pass this on or die a horrible death

"The message : The world is coming to an end!

Dear reader,

You will receive the best gift today and the love of your life will confess at exactly 10:23 am if you forward this to 20 of your friends in 5 minutes. But if you delete this, you will be curse with bad luck and your life will be miserable from now on."

I never knew what to do with mails of this such. I am in a dilemma not because I believe that bad luck will follow if I do not forward the mail(I am a student scientist remember?), but because I'm not sure if the person whom I intended the message for will think that I've sent this to him/her because I am superstitious. Because I am not. The only reason I send emails is because there is something informative/funny/interesting in the mail. But my friends might not know that. Plus my friends who received the email with the warning message at the end might feel obliged to forward it.

I write with good intentions. I refuse to burden my friends with the task of message forwarding hence have made it a point not to forward any chain letters, no matter how interesting they might be (and some really are)

If you really want to say something nice to a friend, do it in a way that the other party can choose if he/she wants to pass the message on (and they will if its really good). This is easy. Just remove that threatening cliché at the end of your mail.

And to those who dedicate their lives to making those of others miserable, my existence will ensure the extinction of the chain letters you've spent hours generating. It stops at me.





(Or until one of your letters take me)

No comments: